Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Learning New Techniques

I recently purchased an e-book titled Montessori At Home by John Bowman.
http://www.montessoriathomebook.com/book/learning-to-read-write/  When Adeline was first born I purchased Glen Doman's book How Smart Is Your Baby, this book helped me in those beginning years as I worked with Adeline.  I feel like this e-book is almost an extension to help me keep working with Adeline.  I have read many times that the Montessori method is beneficial for children with down syndrome but I wasn't really sure how to implement everything.  Now I have a better understanding.

Bowman teaches the steps that Marie Montessori  developed to help develop the architecture of the brain.  The first years from birth to about age six are the most important.  It is during this time that a child's experiences help to mold the brain.  




 One important thing that I have learned is the importance of tools during the early years. Using different tools and containers help develop muscle control and a correct writing grasp.  For children with low tone it is very important, to build the tone in their hands.  We have been working on different transfer activities.  Today I went to the Dollar Tree and found these tools that will work great with Adeline's balls.


We keep working on writing on the chalkboard and making lines.

I just had to add this picture because it makes me happy.  I so much enjoy watching my children play together and appreciate how my oldest daughter is willing to get in their and play with the little ones.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review on the Montessori book. I think I'll check it out. I have always been interested in putting Little Miss D in a Montessori school, but I haven't heard anything good about the one we have here.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...