Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book Review of 101 Games and Activities for Children with Autism, Asperger's and Sensory Processing Disorder

A child's work is play.  Moving and interacting with others strengthens a child's motor and social skills.  I have noticed while working with Adeline that this is true.  She learns much faster and easier when she is running and playing some sort of game.  This is how we started counting, we would play "one, two, three, go".  Now we are working in up to ten.

I recently found a book at the library that was written by an OT names Tara Delaney.  The book is called 101 Games and Activities for Children With Autism, Asperger's, and Sensory Processing Disorders.  Enhance Your Child's Play Through Play.  Now Adeline's challenge is Down syndrome not those listed in the title but I am looking for games and activities to use while teaching her, so I though I would check this out

Yesterday I started going through this book and I have already learned so much about the importance of sensory activities and what the author calls the "brain library".  I have had so many light bulb moments about why some of my children do what they do.

This book is packed with activities that deal with:

Gross Motor Skills
Fine Motor Skills
Communication
Social Sense
School Ready
Home Activities
Outside Activities
Adapting Brand Name Games

I believe that this book would be beneficial for any parent who needs some productive activities to do with their child.  I don't believe you child needs to have a diagnosis to use this book.  One component I really like is that in this book the author will list an activity and explain how to make that task easier or harder so you could be working with multiple children at one time.   This is definitely a book I will be purchasing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...