Friday, May 11, 2012

Learning with Predictable Books

Yesterday I shared with you how we have been working on Brown Bear, Brown Bear.  I have been thinking about how beneficial this book has been to Adeline and how much she loves to have me read it to her.  I think one of the reasons for this is because this book is predictable and repetitive.   So I have been doing a little research on predictable books, this is what I have learned.

Predictable books are written with specific characteristics that enable children to read or learn the text easily.  I feel that children with speech delays benefit from this style of book greatly.  These books are written in a way that makes it easy to guess what will happen next.  The text is repetitive with rhythmic.  This helps the child to memorize the story easily and possibly say more words then they would typically.

Choose a predictable book and read it to your child every day for a week or so and you will be amazed at the results.

Here is a list of some of our favorites:

We're Going on a Bear Hunt,  by Michael Rosen
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?  by Bill Martin
Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?  by Bill Martin
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?  by Bill Martin
Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr Seuss
Are You My Mother?  by P.D Eastman
Jessie Bear, Jessie Bear, by Nancy White Carlstrom
Is Your Mama a Llama, by Deborah Guarino





2 comments:

  1. Many of these are favourites of my class of pre-schoolers too. I think that's also why The Very Hungry Caterpillar is so popular too. i don't know if you know of it but 'Only Joking' by Colin West, is another good one with a repeat refrain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this because it's definitely an area we've been struggling in.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...